WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, March 29, 2010

THE BELL

Our MultiCam CNC router has allowed us to take on many projects we could previously only dream about. This was one of those projects.

Our local firemen wanted a way to formally honor fallen fire fighters. They had a brass bell which would be rung once for each firemen. It was on a temporary stand. The ceremony was in ten days and they came to us, hat in hand to see what we could do. It was a good cause and with our MultiCam entirely possible. I used their logo as the starting point. Using EnRoute I domed the top and added texture too the logo. I wanted it to appear timeless and feel like an heirloom. Then I designed the bell support to look like an old timber. The pieces were routed separately from 30 lb Precision Board on the MultiCam in a only few hours. Then I glued it all up over a welded steel frame so it would last forever, no matter how it was handled through the years.
I painted it up with copper paints and gilded the scroll and lettering with 23K gold. I then did a glaze over the entire surface except the gold to give it that time worn appearance. The bell was polished up and hung with care. The piece was ready two days before the ceremony. I called the fire chief to let him know. When he dropped in to pick it up there were tears in his eyes. We had met the goal and done it in a way that was a fitting honor to these brave men.

-dan