WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Learning the abc's of routing


So now we had our brand new MultiCam in our shop. But what to do with it? I've always believed to sell one must first have samples - especially if what we were to produce was hard to describe. And I couldn't describe it for I didn't yet know what it was.

We started with the basics of course. Our MultiCam tech showed us the ins and outs of the machine, how to turn it on, warm it up and the basics of the operation. Although they promised to help us as much as they could it was up to us from that point. We unwrapped the manuals and started at page one. The learning curve was steep indeed for up to that point I had never even created a vector drawing. We had never had any type of computer controlled machine in our shop and I was anything but a computer expert. We were in for the ride of our life!
We had purchased EnRoute Pro software to help us create the files needed by the MultiCam. It didn't take long to produce the simple files necessary to cut out any shape we could imagine. But we wanted to do so much more than that. I wanted three dimensional TEXTURE. We started with samples and the letter 'A' was the first. It took many hours to produce the first file, carefully reading the manual and going slowly through the process step by step. We sent the file to the machine and were mesmerized as the router MAGICALLY reproduced the file we had created on the computer in my office. This was going to be LOTS of fun! Once the 'A' was done we went on to step B... then C and then on through the entire alphabet.
Each file was a new, tougher challenge and each was an exciting adventure as we explored just what was possible with the MultiCam. After 26 letters and a bunch of other test projects we were ready to get down to business. We had discovered that anything we could imagine was possible - we just had to figure out how to do it...

Stay tuned...

-dan