WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, March 29, 2010

A true dimensional sign

When most sign folks think of a dimensional sign they think of a flat board with some type of writing routed into it. At our shop our definition of a sign like that is a board with a hole in it. Dimension goes in three distinct directions and the MultiCam makes that task EASY. A dimensional sign should be just that! Dimensional on all sides. This is a great example.
I first created a routing file for the submarine. I actually created two files - one for the top and one for the bottom. These were routed separately in layers and then glued together. I added the surface plates and rivets with a sculpting epoxy. Once this job was done I set about making the rest of the sign.
I created the file in EnRoute and then flipped it to create a second file for the back that was the same. While it was running on the MultiCam I bent up some steel pipe and welded up the bracket. Since the sign was to be double sided I glued it up with the steel rod running through it and placed the completed submarine in the middle. A compass point was routed separately and glued together around the steel rod on the top of the sign.
Then I used some sculpting epoxy to fashion the barnacles and starfish that add so much flavor and detail to the sign. It was as simple as pushing on little balls of epoxy and then using a sharpened stick to poke a hole in the top and roughen up the sides of each barnacle.

The star fish were formed with the same medium and then balls of sculpt added for detail. A die grinder was used to add a little texture and a weather worn appearance to the edges of the sign and the top arrow. Then we used a small brush to apply a textured coat of Coastal Enterprises thick primer. Next up was the final paint.

Stay tuned...

-dan