WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, March 22, 2010

COLOR AT LAST!

The tough part in any project is not the idea or the making of the piece. It's knowing when to stop. After many hours of adding endless barnacles the piece was ready for paint at last.

I started with the Primer. We used a heavy, thick primer. I applied it with a brtush as it was my last chance to add just a little more texture to the piece. It was to look like a sunken treasure which was seeing the light of day for the first time in a long while. It wasn't hard to make it look the part. Then came the base coats of the metallic paint - also applied by hand with a brush. Although it looked pretty fine at this point it was far too bright and shiney. But I'd soon fix that...
Once the base coats were good and dry I flooded the piece with a series of glazes, wiping off the excess with a soft cloth, leaving the dark colors in the recesses and cracks. It looked instantly old.
I worked from the top down so I didn't ruin the areas already done. I was getting happier by the minute for this was looking pretty good. Stay tuned...

-dan