WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Friday, April 2, 2010

Ready to wrench!


The wrench looks pretty good after two coats of silver paint. I took a picture and after looking at it had a hard time with the scale. But look closely at the picture.
On the supporting board above the wrench is the normal sized one I modeled this giant wrench from. It has bits of grease and dirt worked into its surface. This is the used look we were seeking to duplicate when we added our glazes once the silver paint has cured.
The glazes only took minutes to put on and then mostly wipe off with a damp rag. Bits of dark color were left in the crevices of the tool just like in real life... except for those who are really fussy when they clean their tools. I tend to not worry too much about that type of thing.
The finished wrench really catches the light with it's silver metallic. The glazes make the wrench read well and make it look real. It was a very fun and easy piece to do. My time and the time on the MultiCam added up to about four hours in total.

-dan