WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Friday, April 9, 2010

Let the machine do the tough stuff

We are entering a local car show and needed another display sign for our booth. Since we are marketing to car enthusiasts a small sign featuring a hot rod was deemed appropriate. I whipped up a sketch and the idea came together in about 10 minutes.
Then it was time to create the file in EnRoute. I decided to do the sections of the sign in two ways. The face of the sign, the checkerboard backdrop, and the wheels of the car would be created as detailed 3D carving files. The lettering was done as separate reliefs which was merged with a textured background. The checkerboard was done with bitmaps. I created the bitmaps in Photoshop, one for the squares and a series of blends to make the flag wave in three dimensions.

The routing file for the car (except the wheels) was done as simple cutouts. Tool-pathing was done with a rough pass (3/8" ball nose) and a final pass with a 1/8" ball nose at 80% overlap. Since the sign was relatively small it didn't take too long for the MultiCam to be done. Once the routing was finished I glued up the pieces and then using my die grinder I did a quick shaping of the fenders on the car and added texture to the top, side and bottom edges of the sign.
Things were looking pretty good already. Now it was time for a little hand work on the car...

Stay tuned...

-dan