WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Friday, April 9, 2010

Finish line

With the bulk of the work done on our MultiCam it was just a matter of adding a thin layer of sculpting medium over the car body with details added after things were smoothed out. The car instantly developed a hot rod attitude, complete with the big fat tires out back. After only a couple hours of hand work we were ready for paint.
We decided on a lime green metallic paint to stand out from the rest of the signs in our colorful display. The black and white checkered flag and speckled grey 'blacktop' base toned things down nicely. Plain metallic silver finished off the lettering in an appropriate manner. With all different colored areas separated vertically by the MultiCam the painting was quick and easy. The water based acrylics were all applied by hand with a brush.
The sign is small and measures 26' wide x 24" tall x 10" deep.
I had a blast with this little street rod. This little sign is a great example of how we can use our MultiCam to machine much of a project. Combining that work with a little hand work makes for an outstanding piece which makes the best use of my artistic skills and available technology. I have no doubt it will catch the eye of all who pass in the upcoming show.

-dan