WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Finished - with style and some jingle in the pocket!

Today we put the last strokes of paint on the farm sign. The MultiCam simplifies the construction of a sign like this a great deal, taking the grunt work out of the process and still allows me to have fun with the parts I enjoy. The lettering is prismatic, raised off the background by about an eighth of an inch making it easy to paint the top. We did the same for all the other parts of the sign too. Light works for us as the sign is viewed.
The basic shape of the animals was routed into the sign in two layers, then built up with hand cut scraps. This strengthened the sign and economized the use of the sculpting epoxy. I sculpted the basic shapes first, allowed it to cure, then added the detail in two sessions over two days.
Our MultiCam speeds up the sign making process a great deal, both in the carving and painting processes. The end result gives me my hand finished sign making jollies and still allows me to make good money on our projects. It's a win - win situation.

-dan