WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Coming together quick!

To build any file in EnRoute I first imagine what it is I want to build... then work backwards from that point. i basically deconstruct the project, break it down into manageable pieces, keeping in mind the material thickness I am working with as well as the size and length of the bits I will work with on the MultiCam. In this case I designed the compass star so I could route it with a 3/8" ball nose bit keeping the run time pretty short.
For the lettering I knew I would require a smaller bit size. I designed the ring separately and tool-pathed this piece with a 1/8" ball nose bit. Both pieces were routed from 30 lb Precision Board and were run at 300 inches per minute.
As soon as the compass star was off the MultiCam I glued the two halves back to back on the metal frame I had welded up. I used my die grinder to cut some grooves in the back to accommodate the 1/2" steel bars which would give the piece some strength. The pieces fit together perfectly (as always) and it was together on the frame in less than a half hour. This morning I glued on the rings with the lettering... its in the clamps now. I'll be posting some more pics as it goes together.
Stay tuned...
-dan