WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Brackets and holes

I've long advocated that our signs should be so much more than simply boards with lettering on them. Signs should tell the story of the business they represent. Our signs should include the method of which they are fastened to the building, the landscaping and beyond.
Our latest project is a sign for just a half a block down the road from our place. A local restaurant wanted a new sign and I was happy to be of service. I first asked for a meeting so I could listen to their story in order for me to get the sign and image right for their business. The business is called Vedder Mountain Grille. They serve great food too! By the time I left I had a pretty good idea of what the sign would look like. It featured the same mountain I admire from the studio windows each day. I decided to route a hole in the sign allowing the real sky to show through on top of the mountain. The signs would be double sided and hanging.
I presented the idea to my client and they asked for one small addition... they asked that I include a motorcycle and rider somewhere on the sign as he rides the mountain often... hence the name of the restaurant. I struggled with the idea for a few days before I came up with a solution that included the motorcycle image but didn't mess up the design. The motorcycle would be featured in the bracket that held up the sign.
I presented the finished idea to my client and they happily signed off on the design. Now its on to the fabrication - using our MultiCam router of course!
-dan