WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Making the machine do the hard part in a hurry

Once the design was approved I created the lettering vectors in Illustrator, then imported them to EnRoute to finish creating the file.
This would be a simple 3D file compared to many we make. There would be four different routing files, each would be done twice on the MultiCam to make a double sided sign. The inside layers were simple cutouts, something the MultiCam handles in minutes. The oval with the lettering was roughed out with a 3/8" bit and then a final detailed pass with 1/8" bit. The lettering was cut with a v-groove. I'm sure glad I had the automatic tool changer as it made things real easy and quick.
While the MultiCam happily worked I was busy out in the shop fabricating the steel work for the sign. I wished I had one of MultiCam's CNC plasma cutters but my hand unit would have to do...
Once the MultiCam was done I set about assembling the pieces. First I used my die grinder to cut the grooves for the structural steel. It didn't take long.
Then the gluing and clamping started. I used Coastal Enterprises one part urethane glue PB Bond-240 to make things permanent.
Once everything was secure I lifted the two layers into place and welded the sign to the post. It would be far too heavy to handle with all the layers in place. While I was at it I welded on the motorcycle cutout and other pieces of the bracket.
In the morning I glued on the rest of the layers. Things were looking pretty snazzy already. I could easily visualize the finished sign. Up to this point my hand work was minimal as the MultiCam had done the bulk of the grunt work. I'd get to start my hand work soon.
Stay tuned...
-dan