WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Still in a rush but doing well.

Every time I got a break in my schedule I would spend a few minutes on the next step of the project. The edges got my attention first. I used my trusty die grinder to whip some woodgrain texture into the sides and ends of the signs. It didn't take long.
Then a quick coat of primer and two coats of base color was applied to the sign. I kept the shop fan on the work to speed up drying times. The deadline was quickly approaching... Once the base coats were dry I mixed up some light acrylic glaze. This was brushed on in sections...
...then wiped off carefully. Once this was dry a darker glaze was applied.
Then I painted the round sun graphic in the same manner, working from dark to light. Last up was the lettering - applied with a small brush. I finished the sign late Friday night after I had gotten home from the trade show. I was to meet my client on the way to the trade show Sunday morning. The extra day would be for the paint to harden.
My MultiCam had allowed me to once again tackle a project I would have previously simply had to pass on. The machine had done in mere hours what would have taken me days to accomplish all by hand.
-dan