WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, April 5, 2010

Learning more by becoming a teacher

As the work we did on our MultiCam became widely known through word of mouth, trade shows, the web and magazine articles I started getting a lot of emails and phone calls. People wanted to know how we managed to do the things we were doing on our router. I did my best to answer the queries but many of the questions simply couldn't be answered by email or on the phone. There is nothing like spending time face to face and working hands-on for those who desire to learn more.
We decided we would host workshops a couple of times each year in our shop with a limited number of students who were eager to learn. We would share all we have managed to learn in the last 40 years and we would do our best to cram as much of that knowledge as we possible could into three long days of learning. This would be a workshop like no other. As we put out the word we found there was no shortage of students. We have had people come from around the world. They have numbered well over a hundred so far.
As I prepared the material I would cover in the classes I quickly decided I too needed to get up to speed. The very best way to learn is to do. As a teacher I needed to learn a LOT more! One of the ways I brush up on my own skills before each session is to design and create a panel for every student who signs up for our workshops.
Each plaque is unique, designed in EnRoute Pro using techniques we would also teach in the workshop. Then they are routed on our MultiCam. They measure about one square foot in area and are routed from 30 lb Precision Board. The panels are finished using the very same painting and glazing techniques we show in the hands-on portion of the workshop. As we are continually making new name panels for upcoming workshops we are constantly stretching ourselves to create new ideas and discovering new ways of finishing them.
The name panels have proven to be a great way to brush up on our file building, routing and finishing skills before each workshop. With over a hundred name panels (and students) to date we have also made quite a number of exciting discoveries along the way.
It continues to be an exciting journey!

-dan