WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, November 21, 2011

Trying a new paint.

We are always on the lookout for new materials and new ways of doing things. We discovered the Modern Masters metallic paints a while ago and use them a lot in our work with good success. Recently I was on their website and discovered they also offer a line of theme paints. These paints are rich and pure in color and promise to be light fast for many years. As I perused their gallery of projects I saw many I had admired for years. Some very reputable companies use the paint with good success. I decided to give them a try.

A selection of colors arrived to my studio while I was in Florida. I found them just inside my studio door and I couldn't wait to give them a try. The barrel for the pub project would be the perfect project. The acrylic paint colors were rich and creamy, no noticeable odor when I opened it. This was no ordinary paint. 

I mixed up a light tan and put a base coat on the barrel. It covered well in one coat. I did two to make sure of longevity. Once dry it was time for some glazing. Where normally I mix the gazes 50/50, with the scenic colors it only took a tablespoon of brown to create the consistency of glaze I needed. It brushed on smooth and wiped off cleanly to reveal the texture beautifully. I then used some of the Modern Masters metallic silver to paint the barrel hoops. I allowed this to dry and then mixed up and applied one last glaze over the entire barrel. 

As it dried I prepared a transparency of the lettering. I projected it onto the side of the barrel and used some Modern Masters white scenic paint to brush on the lettering. I was looking for an aged look so I simply dry brushed on one quick coat. It looked beautiful in an instant - just the effect I was looking for.


The paint has passed the first test (of many). I liked how it goes on with a brush. It covers well and seems to go a long ways. It makes great glazes that work well. Stay tuned for further results...

-dan