WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, January 2, 2012

He's a good, traditional chap.

The legend has it that the 'founder' of the Fox and Hounds Pub was a very traditional, Victorian and VERY proper British chap. An image quickly came to my mind. Today I spent about an hour and a half pressing a thin layer of Abracadabra sculpting epoxy onto the routed head and then using my fingers and a sharpened stick carving the details in. With the sturdy Precision Board underneath to guide me it was relatively easy to form the head and get both sides of his face symmetrical and even. I worked from the bottom upwards so I could wet my fingers and tools in water to smooth things out without the sculpt sticking.



Tomorrow everything will be rock hard and ready for the paint. I am leaning towards making it look like a weathered bronze sculpt at this point. Sleeping on it may just help me make up my mind.

-dan