Instead I built a new file and redid the sign. This is much too cool a project to compromise on quality. Yesterday we mounted the new sign and finished the sculpted concrete. I'm in the process of sculpting three stacked sticks of dynamite for the top of the sign and then it will head into the paint department.
It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.
Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
oops! I make mistakes too.
The artwork for the Blasting Barrels sign was done months ago. A second sign which is mounted to the ride was to be built by the ride manufacturer in Italy and the owner ordered that sign spelled with a dropped 'g'. I got the memo to change ours to suit but promptly forgot.
When it came time to create the file to route the sign I looked at my original artwork and then set to work. The framework was welded and the sign routed, glued and mounted before the mistake was caught. The owner told me to just grind off the 'g' but I couldn't do it.
Posted by Dan Sawatzky at 9:08 PM