WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Dimensional samples

One of the most striking thing anyone will notice as they walk into our shop and studio is the many dimensional samples hanging on the walls. There are more than one hundred and fifty in all (so far). It's obvious that we have invested a great deal of time and effort to create them. Why would we make such an effort?

There are many answers to this question. I would have to say they were fun to make and this was indeed a motivator and reason. But it goes way beyond that. These samples were a way to test new materials and methods, to practice our craft. As we built these samples there were no constraints and often no the limit, unlike most customer's paying projects. Sometimes we do samples to solve a problem or to create a tool to sell a project to a customer.

Our samples allow us to up sell in a big way. If I describe something to a customer, what they see in their mind's eye is based on their experience. That is not what I wish to sell them. If I can physically show them what I have in mind it is most often far more than they imagined... and more expensive too. Allowing a customer to see and touch a sample is far more effective than anything I might say.

In short I attribute our samples for a great deal of our success. They are a very sound investment!