WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, July 17, 2017

Last load to NEB's

It has been well over a year since we did the first concept art for NEB's Fun World. The massive bowling alley was the first project to be green lighted for construction. We designed hundreds of  files using EnRoute.  Our MultiCam Plasma cutter got quite a workout as we cut scores of sheets of plate steel into pieces for the bases and tops of the posts as well as countless bolting plates, lifting lugs and braces. All of the steel was then jig welded together.

We then cut thousands of pieces from more than a hundred sheets of three quarter inch plywood on our MultiCam CNC router. These plywood pieces were bolted to welded steel frames.



The decorative inserts and signs were dimensionally routed from 30 lb Precision Board. They were mounted to the plywood. Galvanized lath was stapled to the plywood and then a thick coat of fibreglass reinforced concrete was troweled on and sculpted to look like wood, bricks, stone and plaster.


Then the painting crew worked their magic, first with three base coats of paint, followed by the glazing and dry brushing.




Today we welded up the last of the large steel pallets and fasted the giant posts to them in pairs. In the next couple of days we will load the last pieces for this phase of the project into the semi trailer and send them on their way.