WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Dayna tree progress

Since the last post on the progress of Dayna's tree we've made great progress. The top portion of the structure was completed and the galvanized lath applied. A few small details were added at the request of the family like a small fairy door, tucked into the roots.



We then did the sculpted concrete which was done over a period of three days. The first day we did the branch tips and large knotholes in the lower sections. By doing smaller areas it afforded us the luxury of taking our time and adding lots of detail. This was especially important in the heat of the summer when concrete kicks fast.





On the second concrete day we did the bulk of the tree area.  Since the bark has less detail we could be more ambitious. On the third day we did the roots which were tricky as it was hard to reach the back side and underneath.



The sculpted concrete was allowed to cure for a few workdays and through the weekend. Much of our staff is on holidays and so it was just Grant and Jeff who began the painting process. They managed to get a first coat of base colours on by the end of the first day. From here on the process will speed up as each successive coat of paint becomes easier. Stay tuned for more progress...