WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Back from the holidays...

 I hope everyone had a great Christmas with those they love. Here we had a relatively quiet, small Christmas this year with only twelve family and friends around the table. It was a good time.

Just before Christmas we finished the Nag's Head sign. Our customer was delighted with the result.


Yesterday we got back into the shop once more and began getting things rolling once more on projects which had lain idle for a few days. The Glass Hive Studio sign is the furthest along. I glued the front and back sides of the sign together yesterday with vinyl covered Lexan sandwiched in between.  Some steel rods were also laminated inside the frame which I would weld to the structure as we proceeded. This morning I used my trusty air powered die grinder to sculpt the edges of the sign.


Then I bent a piece of tubing to shape and welded it to the sign supports. This piece was then inserted into the sign support base, leveled and welded securely. Over the next couple of days we'll complete the sculpting with the epoxy and then jump into final paint. As you can see in the pictures we had pre-painted the areas of the sign that were to be in contact with the Lexan to make things easier.


-dan