WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Friday, January 7, 2011

It passed our first test!

Today we squeezed in some time to work on the Meat cutter's sign. I welded up a 1.5" x 1.5" square tubing frame with some sturdy eye bolts on the top.  I clamped the sign face to one side of the structural steel frame and then cut scrap blocks of 1.5" Precision Board around it. These were glued and screwed securely.


Then I hoisted the second side into place and fastened it to the back side. I hadn't yet started in on the sculpting of this bull.  We'll do that tomorrow.


The sign is starting to look pretty cool and it is going to be a good size when it's done, measuring about 4 feet wide by 4' tall and an amazing 4 feet thick. THIS is a dimensional sign! The sculpting of the bull on this side is almost done with only a little on his chin, the hair on the top of the head and the horns to go. I'll be in touch with the owners tonight and see if I can convince them he needs a nose ring - just for fun. 


Today we had a new customer from Utah come through our shop. As soon as they came through the door they gravitated to the bull sign. He pulled a camera from his pocket and asked if he could take a picture. I agreed. It made me smile for in doing so the sign passed it's first test. The test is simple. Before we finish installing a sign, someone, not connected to us or the owner, has to take a picture of the sign we build. I can't remember any that haven't. It means the signs we make are memorable and are doing their job. And doing it beyond simply being there. Each time the photos are looked at the sign is working again - wherever that might be. THAT is an effective sign!

-dan