WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sonbuilt 3D logo build part 8

This little project has proven to be very challenging and fun. The design of the logo was done by someone else. It looked great in print. My challenge was to create it in three dimensions. With the extreme angle of perspective of the piece the key was to limit the angle of viewing. We did this by cutting a hole in the cabinet and dropping the scene back into the box. 


Today I began applying the colors. My client had asked me to ‘make it real while respecting the limited palette of colors they had used on the original logo. The trick is the scene has to be painted in stages from front to back. Once I get to the front there will be no going back as access will be limited because the foreground trees will be permanently fixed before I can paint them. It comes down to using my experience and imagination to make the call of when it is done.

It is amazing how adding each piece changes the look in such a profound manner. It is important to keep the pieces handy to check how it will look when it is done.


Taking pictures of the progress and looking at them on the screen gives me a more objective look on things. I believe a couple more washes of browns will put us in the ballpark before I proceed with the big foreground trees. Meanwhile the tight deadline quickly approaches.  :)

-dan