WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Rovers Return Inn assembled

The small rovers Return Inn sign is proving to be a delight. Today I took the files off the router table and cleaned up the onion skin edges left along the bottom. I route, leaving it in place on purpose as iI find it easier to clean them up that doing bridges. My spoil board lasts forever that way as well.

I test fit and adjusted the edges using my die grinder. Some of the windows were not fitting terribly well but it is no matter. Somehow I didn't size the canopy with the name on it either but that too can be easily fixed. I'll take care of those things later when I do the sculpting with the epoxy. 

Then I mixed up some epoxy glue and glued up the pieces. The chimney is still missing. That will be whipped up from a piece of Precision Board by hand in the next stage. The sign is looking pretty good at this point. The acrylic 'glass' for the windows will be put in after the painting is done.

The lighting will be done using VIRGO LITES by Heico LED Lighting. http://www.heicolighting.com/product.cfm?pro_id=7   The beauty of this system is it is so flexible and easy . 


For those curious the sign measures about 23" wide and 21" tall x  5" deep..  

Stay tuned fot the next phase...

-dan