Into the center of each letter I positioned a 3/4" wide vector. By routing a half round slot into the back the 5'8" rod would drop between the layers.
The letters were positioned on a 4' x 8' panel, then duplicated and flipped to create the tops.
I then cut lengths of 5'8" bars to fit in the slots I had routed into the letters. I most likely could have used lighter rods but we had plenty of these shorts left over from building our fence.
The short rod segments were then welded together while still in the letter pockets. I then pulled the frames and welded the back sides.
Once the steel sections were all welded up and cooled they were placed back in the letters. The top sides of the letters will now be glued into place on top.
Stay tuned to se how it will all fit together.