WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pedal Power - part 2

Building the cut files for the Pedal Power sign was easy and quick once the vector files were complete. The sign faces were only three steps.  First I created a flat relief.



I then modified this relief by using the dome tool.


The letters and rivets were created as a last step - using the same dome tool (with slightly tweaked settings) once more.


The sign is to be built in five layers. The front and back (cut from 2" thick 30 lb Precision Board. The three middle layers would be cut from 1/2" thick Precision Board. The gears would then be cut separate which would allow all of the gears to read as separate and look more believable. The square lines are for a cutout, into which I will insert a welded step frame.




I'll be routing the sign tomorrow and then I'll post the assembly pictures in the next couple of days. 
Stay tuned...

-dan