WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Ready for the rough road.

The Merry Dragon sign is to be displayed in the Coastal Enterprises (Precision Board) booth at the International Sign Association EXPO in Las Vegas this coming April. It will be shipped and handled by many people. Over the course of the sign show it will be locked on and poked by hundreds of sign makers as they try to figure out how it is made and what it is made from. After the show it will be handled many more times and shipped to other shows and poked by many hundreds of other curious people.

Because of all the wear and tear the sign will be exposed to we decided a weathered look was the order of the day. I finished up the sign with a perfect paint job of all brilliant and shine colours. Then I added a series of aging glazes. Once the paint has sufficiently dried I took out our sander and rubbed off a whole bunch of the paint, especially on the corners of the metal where we could expect wear and tear. Then I sprayed these parts liberally with a mild acid to encourage some serious rust.

The sign is now ready to hit the road with style!