It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

TEDx stage display.

Last year about this time I was privileged to present my first TED talk. It was both challenging and fun! After it was over I heard that they were doing it again this year. We offered to make the stage presentation.

I visited the stage a few weeks ago to take a look at the area and to measure up the space we had to use. The event was to be held in a state of the art theatre which allowed for a twenty-four foot display.  The theatre was a black box which meant the walls, ceiling and floor were painted flat back. The TED organization had strict parameters for the display and the local committee provided the art vectors. I scouted the local building supply store to see what I had available to work with. Our budget was limited as this was a donation and would only be used for one day. I opted to route the letters from two inch thick styrofoam. I would mount them to some 3/4" thick good-one-side plywood which I would paint flat black to make it disappear.

The letters when enlarged to the right size fit onto two 4'x8' sheets of styrofoam. The MultiCam cut them out in a hurry and they turned out great! I painted a couple coats of red acrylic on the TEDx and and the Chilliwack letters white. While the letters were drying I built the plywood stands and painted them a couple of flat black acrylic.

Then it was a simple matter of using a tubed building adhesive to glue on the letters.

In a couple of days I'll deliver them to the auditorium and take a few more pictures of the setup. Stay tuned...