WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

What can't you do?

Even though our shop has limited metal working tools there is little we can't accomplish with a little head scratching and ingenuity. I had great fun figuring out how to design, cut and fit the many pieces together to craft the little passenger rail car. In this case I didn't even need a sketch but instead designed as I went, imagining how it would all fit together. Once the vector drawings were done I sent the files to the MultiCam for cutting. The lower sections were cut from 1/4" steel plate and the top seat riser was done from 1/10" thick steel plate.


To keep things simple I used a 1/4 section of 6" steel pipe for the back corners of the seat. It was much easier to weld those pieces in than bend up that tight a radius by far. I bent and welded a piece of 5/8" steel rod along the top to provide strength and provide a rounded edge to make it safer. I have a few more welds and a little grinding to finish this thing off. Then it is time for a test run!