WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, March 22, 2010

Finding my bearings

Recently I made the switch to a Mac computer at my workstation. Since I had to get up to speed on the slightly different way of doing things, new shortcuts, and slightly different operating system I decided I would pull out the stops and build a complex piece. Learning by doing is always the very best way. There was a bare spot in my library which I had long wanted to create a special display piece for. And I knew just what I was going to create.
It took four hours to create the routing files. The individual pieces filled one and a half sheets of Precision Board but they looked cool - even in the rendering. I worked in EnRoute and when I was done I could hit the render button for a preview of how it would look when done.
I set the MultiCam in motion. This was going to be cool! I could hardly wait for it to be done. The machine was making two passes - one rough pass and then a highly detailed pass with a 1/8" bit and a high overlap. It would take a while but the results would be worth it. Here's a shot as the rough pass was almost done...
While the MultiCam worked in it's special room I was busy in the shop doing other things. The MAGIC would take a little time. Stay tuned...

-dan