Normally I would fasten the tracks into place and then mount the engine above them. But in this case the engine chassis was purposely warped both vertically and horizontally in a gentle curve for dramatic effect. This meant I had to mount the engine and then position the track below it using the routed wheels as a guide. I welded two half inch steel rods to the trestle framework, then held the train chassis above them and marked for the holes to be drilled. Then once that was done I slid it into position. A little five minute cure epoxy glue made everything secure. Then, using the routed wheels as a guide I positioned the track and fastened it into place. I then used a little sculpting epoxy to mold the rail plates and spike heads. The wheels were temporarily screwed into place but they will be removed for the detailing and painting process. Tomorrow, I'll begin sculpting the detail onto the engine. I can hardly wait!
It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.
Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan