WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Pub sign number two - part one

The second sign I'll be using as an example for my teaching at the Denver Summit is the Troll's Bitter Ale, one of the signs for NEB's Pub. I did the sketch freehand on my iPad using the digital pencil. 

With the exception of the 'BITTER ALE' lettering the sign was then designed in EnRoute using the drawing tools. I drew only half the banner and then flipped it before merging the two halves together. The thin vertical rectangles will be the grooves between the boards. The trolls lettering was done freehand.


I duplicated the file and then merged the pieces together to create a 1" thick middle section. The welded steel 1" x 1" tube frame will be inserted into this section. After I created the reliefs I duplicated the file and flipped it. This would allow me to glue the back to the front and have them align perfectly.


The sign faces were routed from 1.5" thick 30lb Precision Board.


The centre section was a simple offset cut from 1" thick Precision Board.



The curly bracket was plasma cut from 1/4" steel plate in just a few second using the MultiCam plasma cutter.



Here's the sign mocked up and ready for assembly. I'll be doing that tomorrow. Stay tuned...