WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, September 19, 2016

Pub sign step by step - part five

A little work with the hand die grinder made the sign ready to begin the sculpting - or so I thought. When I did my last post here the spellcheck let me know I had made a mistake and spelled 'ELIXER' incorrectly. It should instead be spelled 'ELIXIR' There was only one thing to do and that was to fix it.


Thankfully with a program like EnRoute this mistake wasn't a big deal. First I broke out the power plane and sander. In a few minutes I had removed the ribbon panel and made the sign flat once more.


Then I designed a new panel in EnRoute and had the MultiCam whip up some new pieces. These were glued into place and once again we were ready for my favourite part - hand sculpting.


The figure on the sign was to be double sided - just like the sign. It took me about three hours to sculpt the two figures. They aren't identical, but no worries for you can only see one side at a time.  :)

Now with the sculpting done and everything spelled right we are ready to head off to the painting department. Stay tuned...