WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Sign Invitational Challenge 2017 - part 13

With each project we do we love to raise the bar. This means figuring out new ways to do things with the intent to add new interesting details. With the Sign Invitational Challenge piece I've done this in spades. The primary purpose of the competition is to create a showpiece for our own studio.

Each time we do things in a new and more detailed way we congratulate ourselves - at least for the first few hours. After that the project seems to go on and on and after a while we begin to wonder what we've gotten ourselves into. But we press on and then, without fail we eventually come to the end. As we look at the final piece we congratulate ourselves once more, proud of the fine detail and finished result. We know that without fail the next project will again involve this process.

Today as I worked my way to the bottom of the trestle timbers and rock work it seemed to be taking forever. I pressed on and by quitting time the sculpting work on this section was finally complete and well worth the effort.

Now, I'll head back to the top of the sign to finish that section. Then the train will get detailed our before the painting process begins.