WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Friday, May 7, 2010

Excitement - Yarrow style.

When you live in a small town it doesn't take much to create news. Our little town of Yarrow qualifies in every regard. One thousand, one hundred people live here. The downtown has twelve businesses and stretches for almost two blocks. We live on one end of those two blocks. There is no place on earth I would rather live for it suits us so perfectly.
The owner of the restaurant had been following the progress of her sign on our website journal and was excited to say the least. She had posted pictures of the sign and its progress in the restaurant and everybody who came in had heard of the project. I decided I would surprise her by simply showing up with the sign - unannounced.
It started as I opened the BIG MAGIC DOORS of our studio. Our neighbor immediately knew something was up as I backed the trailer up to them. When he came to investigate I pressed him into service to help drag the sign onto the flat deck trailer. I didn't bother tying down the sign for it was only traveling a half block from our place to the restaurant. I went by myself too, knowing there would be lots of folks eager to help.
As I pulled up someone must have let the owner know her new sign had arrived. Most of the folks in the restaurant left their tables and went to the windows for a glimpse of the new sign. One of the regulars ran out back to the parking lot and backed it onto the side walk. He threw the old sign in the back and it was instantly gone. A passerby put his package to the side and jumped up on the trailer to help me tip it up off the trailer. Several others including the owner steadied the bottom of the post and stand until it was upright. We jockeyed it into final position. I'd come back later to bolt it into position and give the post a final coat of paint. The owner would build a planter around the base in the next few days. The owner of the restaurant was more than delighted. She gave me a big hug and did her happy dance our on the side walk as the neighboring merchants poked their heads out of their doors to see the excitement unfold.
It was a pretty exciting day in Yarrow and the new sign will be the talk of the town until something else eventful happens...
Until then I will just bask in the glow!
-dan