WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, May 17, 2010

Final shop work.

We painted the base coats first with acrylic paints. We worked from the lower layers first, then carefully cut the next color to it. By always cutting into a corner or to an edge it made things easier and faster than painting something flat.
Once the base coats were good and dry we layered on the glazes and wiped things down good before they dried. We mixed a custom color we called grime to age things down nicely. The pump in the foreground had been aged... the one behind is still in base colors only.
Once the painting was done and dry it was time to load the trailer - a simple task as I had welded threaded nuts in key locations. Temporary eye bolts were screwed in to lift the pieces and also facilitate tying the pieces securely for transport. Once on site the eye bolts were removed and we were ready to go. I simply hoisted the pieces on our eye beam lift and backed the flat deck trailer underneath.
The 100 mile trip was exciting as always. Passing cars honked and waved. Whenever I stopped a crowd instantly gathered, curious about my unusual load. My client was waiting with a machine to unload and within minutes the pieces were in place. I would return to finish things off after they had built the small building which would attach to the pump structure.
Stay tuned for the finishing touches...
-dan