WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Name that panel!

One of the things I like to do for each Sign Magic Workshop is to create custom name plaques for each attendee. Although it is challenging at times I try my best to create a name plate that is suited to each person.
One of our students this time is finishing her Art Masters degree at university. I know she loves to inject thoughtful fun into each piece she does. For her name plaque an image of brain came to mind. I would wrap her name over it for her panel. It started with a sketch of course to test the idea. I didn't have to do more than a little sketching to know it would work.
Then it was on to creating the vectors I nee
ded to build the files in EnRoute. The brain was a simple domed oval shape. I then added to this relief with the two halves of the brain. A bitmap texture file from my collections called 'WORMS' formed the brain in an instant. The lettering outline was made into a relief, then modified with an oval of the same size as the brain and domed a similar amount. Using the side view of the reliefs I adjusted everything until it looked right. The base for the panel was created separately with a chamfer, then everything was Merged to create one relief. The domed lettering was added to the relief as a last step.

Creating the tool pathing was easy and instant using EnRoute software. I used a 3/8" ball nose bit for the rough pass with a 50 % overlap and 0.1" offset. The final pass was with a tapered 1/8" ball nose bit and a 80% overlap. Both tools were run at 300 inches per minute. The rough pass was accomplished in less than 10 minutes. The final pass came in at a little less than an hour to finish.

While the file was running I was doing my best to get the next file ready in between phone calls and other interruptions. Stay tuned for the next idea...
-dan