WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Friday, May 14, 2010

Using the best tool for the job

There are very few projects in our shop where our MultiCam does all the work for us. In most cases I pick and choose, using the router to do the parts that make perfect sense, leaving the rest to do other ways. The job I finished this past week is a great example.
Our job was to design a front entrance/ticket booth and signs for a new bumper car attraction. The rest of the project which we had done more than five years ago was themed to the 1920's and 30's. After talking with my client we decided an old fashioned gas station would be the perfect solution. I designed the project with my MultiCam and our modern materials in mind. As with every project the budget squeezed us a little, the solution was to have the client do some of the project himself rather than us making it turn key. He would build the building while we built the car, pumps and signs. I would do the colorful faux rock work around the bottom of the building when it was complete.
The project would be a combination of welded steel, sculpting epoxy, and routed Precision Board. The building would be conventionally wood framed with sculpted concrete rock work around the bottom. All of it would be painted with acrylic paints. In essence, it would involve every trick in the book. While our MutliCam wouldn't play a huge role in the project, it would do the critical bits, saving us lots of hours in the process and adding greatly to the finished result.
The project was started on two fronts... I designed the signs, pump toppers and gauges in EnRoute to route on the MultiCam. Making them with 30 lb Precision Board would ensure they could handle the wear they would be subjected to. While our MultiCam whittled those parts I started in on the welded steel frame for the features.
Stay tuned for more progress...
-dan