WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, May 31, 2010

A little more 'ordinary'

We are well known for signs that are anything but ordinary. Its a reputation we have worked very hard to establish. But we also do signs that are more traditional as well. We still do our best to take these more 'normal' signs over the top however. Our MultiCam router helps us out with this task in a big way. Our latest project is a sign for a medical doctor. The clinic was housed in a historic old farmhouse - now in the center of town. The sign needed to reflect that heritage plus be respectful of the doctor's profession. We came up with a design that was somewhat ornate, and met all the requirements. It would be perched on a river stone base, symbolic of the natural approach to medicine this doctor practiced.
I created the file in EnRoute, using my sandblasted woodgrain bitmap to create the texture. The lettering is beveled, the logo domed for maximum impact. They will be gilded of course. The colors of the sign will mirror the historic building. The sign will be routed in multiple payers and then laminated over a welded steel frame. I'll document the process here of course. The face of the sign is to be routed from 1.5" 30 lb Precision Board for maximum effect and durability. The file is running as I type. I sneak into the router room from time to time to watch the magic. It's a sight I never get tired of... my design coming to life - ally automatically of course.
Stay tuned as this sign comes together...
-dan