WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Paint magic

First the long gun received a coat of Coastal Enterprises primer using a small bush. This introduced a fine texture over the entire gun. This will make The glazing and aging easier after the color coats are on. Once the primer was dry the gun received a base coat  over the entire gun. This would provide a base color for the darker woodgrain color that was the next step.


To do the woodgrain I purchased a wood graining tool. It has combs on each side and curved ridges over the surface. I mixed up a glaze using acrylic paint mixed equally with a clear base. This was brushed on and the plastic wood grain comb is then dragged through the glaze.


I had to work quickly applying the glaze as it tends to set up quickly. I worked the gun in quarters, making sure the grain lined up with the sections beside it. The curved surfaces proved to be tricky.


Then the gold and bronze colors were applied, taking care to cut the colors in neatly. Aging glazes and patinas will be the next step.


The stand now looks to be cast from solid bronze and the gun of brass & wood. Everything is far too shiny and new at this point, but once the paint has hardened up some it will be time for the last step which will age them appropriately. 



The glaze for this project was a single color applied to small sections of the gun at a time and then dabbed off with an old terry towel. The texture of the cloth left a wonderful, textured patina in the crevices and on the edges of various bits. As I worked I thought about how handling the gun would polish certain parts. Other parts, like the inside of the flared barrel would be blackened by the shots of powder. As I worked I wondered just how powerful a kick a gun like this would render. 


A brass plaque on the sloped part of the stand will be the finishing touch. It too will receive a little patina to make it match the gun.


-dan