WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, July 4, 2011

Starting on the fireplace feature

Today was the first day of concrete work on the pub fireplace/sign. The worksite is in a bit of a frenzy with dry wallers, carpenters, electricians and other trades all in the same space so we retreated to the new restaurant area and cleared some space for our crew to work. I had worked on Saturday with the welding of the lower portions of the trees - as far as I could go before interfering with the drywall crew. Today we mudded and carved the first section of the fireplace. The mantle was routed from multiple pieces of 30 lb Precision Board, assembled in the shop and them mounted in position. We are sculpting the trees around it and the fireplace. Some routed eye candy will eventually reside over the fireplace. This feature will demonstrate just how well we can work routed objects into a larger piece done in other mediums as well.






As I worked the tree and roots came together quickly - a couple hours to apply the cement and about the same time to carve it to shape. As I stood back to look it make me laugh out loud... it's one of the coolest signs I have done. I have to sell Janis on the idea of including something similar into our new house!


Stay tuned for more progress...


-dan