WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, July 11, 2011

Playing with the coolest toys!

One of the very best things about my association with MultiCam is that I get to play with the coolest toys from time to time. When I did up their office we used a MultiCam plasma cutter to cut the heavy half inch plate for the dinosaur desk. For this job it is time to test drive the MultiCan water jet.

For the Fox & Hounds Pub it is all about the details. Everywhere you look and in places you wouldn't expect to find it are purposeful details that will tell the story of the 'ancient' business and it's many owners through the years. The details will quietly tell of the building's proud heritage. The details will also provide the branding throughout the facility - much like we did at the MultiCam technical center.

The bar countertop will be custom cast concrete, done by a fellow on Vancouver Island, about a hundred miles distant. One of the things we wanted from the start was to cast the logo into the concrete. It will be cut with a water jet. This is where MultiCam comes into play. A few months back my local dealer took delivery of a shiny new machine. At the open house I watched it create absolute magic - perfectly shaped pieces of metal in an incredible small scale. I filed it away for future reference. When we met with the concrete counter top fellow I knew how we would dress up the top. It simply had to have a logo cast in - cut from bronze and stainless steel.

Today I dropped in on my friends at MultiCam to see if they would cut up the pieces and they happily agreed to make it so. So tonight I worked up a simplified version of the logo and worked out just how it would all go together. EnRoute proved to be the perfect tool to make it happen in a hurry.


I can hardly wait to see it imbedded into the concrete!  I'll do my best to get some pics of the MultiCam water jet in action.

-dan